How To Get a Copy of Your Income Tax Returns

How To Get a Copy of Your Income Tax Returns

When you file for bankruptcy, the Bankruptcy Court assigns a Trustee to administer your case and to question you at your hearing. The Trustee needs to receive certain documents in advance of your hearing. One very important item is your income tax returns for the last two years. If you do not still have a copy of those returns and cannot get a copy from your accountant or tax preparer, there is another way to obtain the returns.

You can call the IRS at 844-545-5640 and ask for an “Income Tax Transcript” for the last two tax years. The IRS will fax or mail the income tax transcripts to you. You can call the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4486 and ask for a copy of your income tax return for the last two years. The Michigan Department of Treasury will mail a copy of the income tax returns to you.

The above information is a general overview and is not intended to be used as legal advice. If you are considering filing for bankruptcy, the best thing to do is call our office at 248-557-3645 and schedule a free consultation so you can receive advice which is tailored to your specific circumstances.

By: Michael Benkstein, Esq.

Managing Attorney, Bankruptcy Department

The Law Offices of Joumana Kayrouz, PLLC

1000 Town Center

Suite 800

Southfield, MI 48075

(phone) 248-557-3645

(fax) 248-200-0645


The Law Offices of Joumana Kayrouz is a Multi-Service firm that specializes in Personal Injury, Immigration, Bankruptcy, Criminal, and Family Law. If you're in trouble, we can help.

Schedule a free no-obligation consultation to discuss your case.

Quick Links
Connect With Us
  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • YouTube - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle